Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tag Sales Story #3

I had to start this post off a little differently than the prior Tag Sales Stories. Searching through craigslist I came across this $15 listing:

An old headboard, loose of it's rails and footboard, no mattress, no boxspring. $15.

It is posts like these on craigslist that often make me lose interest in the site. Items that clearly should be donated or thrown away rather than trying to sell them for pennies. But today, thanks to Marian, or 'D' from D's Daydreams, I look at this and other items on craigslist with a new set of much more creative eyes!

When D moved into her home, the bathroom was your quintessential 1970's bathroom, with wallpaper, counter to ceiling mirrors over the vanity, enough ugly to scare small children, and D hated it! She knew after taking out a step ladder every week to clean the top of the mirror that something had to be done!

With her handy hubby, D transformed a king sized headboard she purchased for $75 at a garage sale into a custom mirror installation that has the feel of custom cabinetry, and is much more to her liking. (Mine too!)

As you can see, this was initially a three pannelled piece, having the same variagated wooden panels you see in the center (between the two mirrors). With D's brilliant thinking along with Handy Hubby's vigor, the other two panels were removed and replaced with mirrors. Additional pieces were added to the sides to make the piece work for the width of the space, but the decorative molding you see at the top of the piece was a part of the previous king sized headboard.

I saw these pictures and my heart fluttered. It takes the eye of someone truly willing to color outside the lines to see this, in what I found on craigslist for just $15. A little imagination, elbow grease, and paint can help almost anything take new form, and D has shown us that with this amazing transformation.

But her bargaining doesn't end there on this remodel. Her lights with beautiful shades: a clearance item at Lowes. The hardware: Ebay. And to give the whole vanity a supremely custom look, Handy Hubby even re-used the pieces of variagted wood to cover the fronts of the drawers below.

An absolutely perfect solution, and one that I am proud to say I will put in my book of inspirations after today's post. Marian emailed me several of her and Handy Hubby's project pictures, each of them just as inspirational as this. I wanted to post them all here, but felt it more deserving to have each of you hop over to D's Daydreams and take a look at some of the pictures there. Be sure to drop her a nice note, and if you're as amazed by this transformation as I am - leave a note in the comment box here.

15 comments:

  1. Oooo! This project made my heart flutter, too, Artie! I just love how creative D is, I just told her how much I love the way her mind works!! Best of all, it's one of a kind! Beautifying the world, one project at a time, I say! Great, great job. I abosolutely love everything about it.

    Thanks for showcasing this, Artie! I love this series you have going!

    Hugs,
    Isa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie,

    Thank you so much for featuring one of my ideas, and for the beautiful way that you presented it. I could never have explained it as well as you did. Words don't seem to be my forte, only some decorating ideas. If I can give just one person a tip, that they can use for themselves, then that makes me very happy. :)

    Thank you.....

    ((((((((BIG HUG))))))))
    'D'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable!!!!! They just keep getting better. This is the best yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious; making good of old! Fabulous idea and skilled workmanship!
    Am going to scoot over to D's pages right now.

    (Years ago I had an oval coffee table that I converted into a large mirror, and to think I was proud of myself. LOL. It was a learning experince though as one must also finish off the routed edgeS, as when mounted the mirror reflects.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want my brain to work like this. So much. Can't wait to go check out her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just genius! What fun projects D has done, I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing idea! Each one is wonderful, you're going to have a tough time Artie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GENIUS! Artie, you have such creative people reading your blog! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible transformation! And I am having trouble just finding a King size headboard for my new mattresses that have been without for six months now.

    G in CT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this one is wonderful... I loved it... Thanks for all your postings... this is fun. Have a great day....

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What amazing vision she has! And what great recycling.
    Lisa & Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't D the Best! She has the greatest ideas! Not just with decorating - she is a real talented person. Don't forget to check out her other posts - wait until you see her daughter's wedding. What a great post Artie! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unbelievably talented duo of D and her husband!!! Now that's called really using your imagination. I'm so glad you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how creative this project is! It has me inspired to look at old cupboard doors and headboards for frames and mirrors and so many wonderful re-purposes! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. An absolutely amazing transformation. A headboard - who would have ever thought of such wonderful uses!!

    ReplyDelete