Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December to Remember Day 16: So Thankful!!!


A winning sketch of a room I designed around a piece of furniture from The Green Plum.


The blog has allowed me to meet some wonderful people. One of those people, is Susan of Love Where You Live. Among so many things, Susan is the owner of a fabulous boutique called The Green Plum in Salida, Colorado and a Field Editor for Meredith Publishing. In the company fold: Traditional Home, Better Homes & Garden, Renovation Style, Remodel, Decorating, Kitchen & Bath Ideas and others. Yes, that means that she is connected to some very powerful individuals in our shelter mag world. One of those powerful and oh so gifted people is the editor of Houston House & Home, Linda Barth.

Linda Barth published fellow blogger, Joni Webb, of Cote de Texas in HH&H, and we all know how lovely her home is. HH&H is nothing short of stunning with each page, and I was honored, no - humbled, to have her judge my entry as worthy of WINNING! in Susan's giveaway. The premise: decorate a room with a piece of furniture from The Green Plum. The prize? 1 of 3 fabulous items from Susan's store in Colorado. I picked a gorgeous Victorian settee which was recovered in a geometric brown and blue fabric, and created this sweet slumber bedroom, my thoughtful combination to make a him or a her comfortable and cozy:

Of course, my sketch of the room which I put together very quickly to get the entry in just in time for the contest cut off was at the top of the page, and gives you an idea of what I was thinking.

My thought was to use the beautiful Victorian settee in a bedroom sitting room setting. Imagine a large suite with Juliette balcony with views onto the sound, walls covered in a rich chocolate based grasscloth, and deep ebony hardwood floors covered with a banded sisal rug, cream large scale mouldings, and richly decorative architectural features. An eclectic mix for the perfect his/her bedroom would include a tester canopy made from the gorgeous stripe coordinate in soft blues and chocolate, and a richly textured and tufted headboard for her, and rich masculine dark wood side tables and chocolate velvet nailhead trimmed wingback chairs for him. A collected look that would take a number of years and travels to acquire, the room would be a reflection of the couple who lived in it ... chic, sophisticated, and well travelled. From the freeform shape of the chandeliers to the geometric shape of the table lamps, the room is really a beautiful juxtapose, just like the victorian settee: freeform and handcarved paired with geometric pattern. A writing desk for the Mrs. would be a perfect place to write those thank you notes for the many dinner parties they'd attend, and the television hidden inside of the french armoire (most likely acquired in a travel to Paris) would appease the Mr.

The Sources: Grasscloth Wallpaper: by Classic WallcoveringsHeadboard: Majestic Upholstered Headboard by http://www.frontgate.com/Fabric: Acaulis in "patina" by Robert AllenBedding: Pagoda Scroll embroidered bedding by Williams Sonoma HomeVelvet Wingback Chairs: Juliette Chair by Jayson Home & GardenDesk Chair: Emporer Armchar by Jayson Home & GardenDesk: Prentice Desk by Jayson Home & GardenNight table: Carnegie Side Table by Jayson Home & GardenLamps: Montaigne Table Lamps by Niermann Weeks Company, Inc.Sconces: Star Wall-Sconces by Niermann Weeks Company, Inc.Side tables (for seating group): Sherwood Tables by Jayson Home & GardenPetrified wood (as table for settee): by Jayson Home & GardenChandelier: Arpeggio Chandelier by Niermann Weeks Company, Inc.Armoire: Antiques on Old Plank RoadVictorian Ballroom Chairs (either side of armoire): by Althorp Living HistoryOttoman/Storage stool (for seating group): Sophia Storage Bench by http://www.frontgate.com/

Again, a huge thank you to Susan and to Linda Barth for the honor of naming me one of the winners of the contest, and to all of the other winners. Gorgeous job to all.

14 comments:

  1. This is really exciting...and a big deal! Congrats...what a great Christmas surprise!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- how exciting! I do like your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Artie...
    How exquisite. It is just beautiful and it does not surprise me that you would win. Never doubt yourself kiddo you have so many talents, you need to let go and fly with the wings that God gave you. He has big plans for you my friend.

    I still have not taken pics of my trees. I have yet to get the biggest one decorated. It took 3 nights to figure out how to make it stand. It is brand new and instead of Tony just taking it back, he kept fiddling with it. I was ready to throw it out the back door into the pool. I was so saddened with it. I think we have it fixed as good as it will be, and I will start decorating this weekend. I have many things to get done. Always last minute for me.

    Congratualtions again. Please send Scott my love too. I think of you often.

    Country hugs and so much love guys...Always Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is just no end to your talent! Congratulations on your win, and that sketch is fabulous!! You should make blank greeting cards out of it =)
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Artie! You've always been a winner with us! Can't wait to see a picture of your prize!
    G in CT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow, how wonderful! You actually won the setee???

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Artie! I'm so happy for you. Your sketch is absolutely beautiful ... definitely suitable for framing!

    I don't always leave comments when I stop by (and I know I should take time to), but I've really enjoyed your Holiday posts. That peacock tree of yours is spectacular! I'm glad it was recognized in a feature newspaper article, a well-deserved honor!

    Happy Holidays to your and yours!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me congratulate you!!
    what a great compliment to you!!! Have a great Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS Artie! Well deserved. Looking forward to seeing where you place it.
    Hugs -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I especially loved how you envisioned "real" people in your space. That in of itself made it come alive! Thank you for joining in on the fun. You are so talented! I will be sending your prize to you in the next few days! Thank you, too, for the nice words. I will share your blog with Linda....Merry, merry -susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO GET YOUR ON SHOW ON HGTV? :)

    I am so happy for you. As someone else wrote, what a great Christmas gift, well deserved.

    Hugs
    'D'

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sketch is awesome! It was also great to see everything in the color pictures, so we could get the full scope of what you were going for. What a lavish room. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete