Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December to Remember Day 30: Some Topical Photography

That's right - topical, not tropical - unfortunately. Here in the frigid northeast, we've had little snow to speak of. At least in our corner of Western New York. I gleefully bragged on the phone with my mother Christmas day that I hadn't shovelled all season, and that for the first time since leaving Texas - we wouldn't have a white Christmas. However, only a few days after Christmas, 2 in fact, it snowed several inches. I donned my cap and gloves, dug the shovel out of the garage and dug, pushed, dug, pushed, dug ... here's where my Southern USA readers get to spin around in their office chair with giddy joy! But there is an upside to the snow, the beautiful landscape it provides.

At the mouth of the horseshoe falls, the largest and most photographed section of Niagara Falls, is an US island named, oddly, GOAT. Goat Island is small, and separates the American falls into two parts, the larger American falls, and the bridal veil. In the summer, the mist coming from the Falls, both the bridal veil and the Horseshoe keep that part of Goat Island a constant 72 degrees, and the grass and trees stay brilliantly green. In the winter, however, the constant mist forms a layer of ice on the branches of those trees, locking whatever snow we have in place.

The photography options here are endless, and if you time it right - you might even catch a bird or two perched on these icy boughs wondering where their nests have gone.

Ice blankets the freshly fallen snow under foot, and can prove difficult to walk on ... I think I fell once this trip, and with the mist from the falls keeping you nice and wet - you'll want to remember to wear a hat; at the very least, a hooded jacket.

Now, this trip in particular was cut short - and I didn't get to take many photos. These are untouched, straight out of the camera. I figured altering them in any way would take away from the true beauty that exists there. With Christmas gone, and New Years right around the corner, I'm looking for inspiration for design in all places ... and I hope you'll find as much here as I have.


HAPPY NEW YEAR

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful snow pictures! I love the the serenity the reflect. Thank you1
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely snowscapes! I love particularly the one with the deep sky background. It reflects immensity!
    Have a blessed wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artie:

    Your photographs are fabulous. Here on Long Island we actually had a rare white Christmas, not that it was snowing but the remains from the prior week were still around. Snow is a mixed blessing, extreme beauty with a lot of extra work!

    Happy New Year.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year!

    The Falls are beautiful in winter! Quite a site to see!

    We had our first White Christmas in "forever" and snow is still on the ground -- unusual for the prairie!
    Even though it is slick underfoot, I like a white winter better than a brown one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Artie, Beautiful pictures, serene and still. I love living on the East Coast- our scenery changes and I never get tired of the changes of the seasons. (Howevere, I am not a fan of the humidity!) You captured the trees in their wintery best!
    I am sitting in my study with a cup of morning coffee watching the snow outside and viewing your gorgeous pictures... a panoramic winter wonderland!
    A very happy New Year to you. I have enjoyed getting to know you over the past 3 months. When I visit I am always inspired!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing;
    Love the snow,...our's is leaving as well.
    Happiest of New Year's to you!!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. pretty! Nature is amazing!! A wonderful 2010 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Why is it that ice, which causes so much destruction is so darn lovely? Have a wonderful New Year's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Artie, these pictures are incredible. I'm talking frame-worthy here!!!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those photos. We have frozen berry trees outside our house in Missouri and it is such a beautiful thing. You captured it greatly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful snow photos! As I type this, snow is falling heavily ~ mixed with a few icy pellets. I am thankful I don't have to venture out today.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Artie!

    I enjoyed seeing these beautiful photos. We have snow on the ground and very cold temps moving in from the west.

    We still love the snow...especially since we are retired and don't have to go out unless it's an emergency!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are beautiful. There is nothing quite like ice on the trees for a gorgeous moment. My husband works for a power company, so we also know the danger and horrors that go along with those ice storms.

    I hope you have a wonderful New Year. I've enjoyed getting to know you.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Artie and Scott. I'm south of you in CT but we had a white Christmas. In fact, I just walked in from shoveling around two inches before guest arrive soon for a late New Year's Eve dinner. Thanks for all your inspiration in the past year and looking forward to the next. ENJOY!
    G in CT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amidst the ice...the crunching snow...
    I lift my glass and offer you a toast..
    For a most prosperous and joyous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic photos! I am doing that 365 a photo a day this year and posting on a new blog just devoted to it... I hope I can stick to it... Anyway... your photos are very inspirational! PS I loved that Michael Buble song I hadn't heard it before...
    I'm having a New Year Give away... Stop by if you get a chance and enter. Have a wonderful new year!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photography Artie!

    It appears you are having identical weather to ours. (We have snow forecasted for the next five days on top of it.)
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  18. Artie~ We had a whole inch of snow this year. A drastic difference from our record snow fall last year.
    Those photos captured how beautifully graceful winter can be...the way it softly lays across the branches in your photos.
    These shots would make great framed art.
    Happy twenty ten.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete