Thursday, February 25, 2010

Debbie Doubter ...

People who know me pretty well will tell you that just after I cross the 1/2 way point in anything, I start to second guess myself. I'm terrified of making a missed step, especially when it's costing me money - lots of money - and when I'm showing it all to you, my faithful and fantastic readers!

So tonight, as we were laying the rest of the tile - which I hate by the way - I started to second guess myself. The goal of doing these projects myself is to save money, but I want more than just a novice job in the process. I want something I can be proud of, and someone else could be happy with too. The last thing I want is someone to come in after us and say, Gee, what were they thinking? This floor has been the definite drama of the project.

It's pieced together by spots of glue - none of which are the same size - and the only way to get a completely accurate line is to take the whole sheet apart and lay the tiles individually. The bathroom is roughly 100 square feet, can you guess how long it'd take me to lay over 4000 tile the size of an oreo!?!?!?!? TOO LONG! And, even if I really wanted to be crazy and take them all apart, the house was built in 1923, apparently before levels or rulers existed.

So, to stop myself from making mistakes I wouldn't if I weren't stressed out and disappointed, I called it quits for tonight and will pick the trowel up where I left off in the morning. I tell you there are interesting quirks at every corner ... save yourself the headache if you're following my lead, SKIP this tile!

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a big fat headache Artie! I do the same thing about second guessing myself too. I hate to make mistakes and waste money. Why do you hate the floor tile? I suggest you shut the door and have a glass of wine. Tomorrow, it will look better and you will feel better--hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie, don't be too hard on yourself, I bet it is turning out beautifully!
    Ps I second guess myself as well!

    Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a home built in the early 1900's once. There wasn't a straight corner, level floor...every project was a challenge. Just remember that no one will look at things with the critical eye that you do. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hold strong, Artie! The plans look fantastic, and judging by EVERYTHING else you've done and shared with us on here, it's going to turn out beautifully!
    We all second guess and freak out. Just go in a corner and throw a bit of a fit, take a nice break, and you'll be a whole new man tomorrow!
    Can't wait to see the results!
    - Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Artie...ya gotta know that NOTHING is perfect in this world.
    I have not one single doubt that your flooring is going to be awesome. Every thing you do is wonderful..no reason for this not to be great. Sometimes, especially when the task turns out harder than I thought, i just want to throw up my hands and start over..with something else. But, when I stick with it, in the end, it looks pretty great. So will your floor!! I PROMISE !!
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artie, my husband is a carpenter and the bane of his existence was the house we lived in back in NY- it was built in the days when everything was "eyeballed". We swore that most of those eyeballs must have been drinking while they were working! I have no doubt it will be gorgeous and in keeping with the "character" of the house
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes I remember well. We put the same tile on the floor of our 1920's spanish cottage. Trust. In the end it looks lovely...like it belongs, and was there all the time. Trust and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes. I thought you were going to tell us that you decided against the tile and were starting something brand new.

    Do you hate the tiles or the look of the tiles? I hope it's the former!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dear DIY buddy, I love the tile floor, I love the shower and the fixtures. It's all good! You can see the light at the end of the tunnel so forge ahead and you will be happy in the end.
    I do agree that sometimes its is better to just hire someone but you may not have ultimately been happy with their work because of how complicated the layout was.
    On to the fun stuff...the bench!

    xx kelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Artie,
    Sorry you're struggling with this phase of the project. I'm sure it's going to turn out great. I do know that feeling you're having all too well though. I think it's like any art project ... a record of a series of corrections. You're wise to pause, reflect, and analyze.

    Can't wait to see your final (beautiful) result!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete