Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Final Update

It's important that I save some of the mystery of the bathroom for you all to (hopefully) ooo and ahhh over once it's finished, so this will be the last update post until the final (or perhaps semi-final) is ready to debut. I'm still wrenching my brain over light fixtures and mirrors, window blinds, and art - but the bones of the space are coming together and I have to tell you it's been a lot of fun.

We had this very awkward space between the toilet and the wall for the shower plumbing. A niche if you will, that was about 5.5" wide, and the same deep. It wasn't original to the house, just a wasted space after the wall was put up to accommodate the shower put in by the last owner. It was impossible to clean the floor in that area and despite the idea that any square footage is good square footage, that niche really made the wall feel 2.5" wide instead of 3' wide. So I tried my hand at drywall.

Pretty good huh? Cutting the drywall was the easy part. The difficulty was framing such a narrow space to be able to screw the drywall into something other than thin air. That took time, and loads of patience, but once that was done, we could tape and mud.

After taping and mudding, then sanding and mudding again (this is what you pay your contractor so much money for by the way - the process of mud/sand/mud/sand ... you get the idea) we put the floor down for the toilet area and started to panel the walls so that we could replace the toilet. Once the battens went up, I decided to put in the extra piece at the top to form a square/rectangle pattern that is seen in our doors. Because the battens are only 1/4" thick, I think it's a subtle touch that gives it a more custom look. The toilet is from Kohler, in a pattern called Memoirs. It's not cheap, but still much less than the Michael S. Smith Kallista toilet that looks pretty much the same with it's very square lines. Once we get the rest of the room done, we can add the wainscot cap, and then paint it all out in a smooth, snow white.

Notice the square footing on the toilet pedestal? Scott loved that it had a comfort height seat and an elongated bowl, but I loved the footprint. It's substantial and heavy - expensive looking. Of course that flush handle has to go, and I've got my thinking cap on for the toilet seat. Joni at Cote de Texas suggested a wooden toilet seat. Of course, something stained a dark and rich walnut with brushed nickel hinges. What do you think?
After we tiled the toilet area, and put it in, along with part of the floor mouldings and wainscot, we layed the pattern for the rectangle in the center of the room. This was much more difficult than I had assumed, and it took more than 4-hours to grid the floor, level the area, and then start to work with the tiles, which, were not spaced 100% accurately. You see, these come glued on sheet that's 12x12. It's not a mesh back, like glass or small mosaics would be, but a simple dollop of glue that holds the diamonds in place between the octagonal pieces. So, buyer beware - this tile might look easy enough to do, but it will take more time than you think.

The next day we layed the pattern, and will fill in with the white on white once this has had a chance to set up. I have to tell you that I am in love with this added detail, and the extra work that went into it will make all the difference once the room is finished and completely pulled together.
Of course, the black diamond does tie back into the black decorative pencil tile that we did in the shower. And speaking of showers, they're absolutely fabulous now that the faucets are installed and the duel shower heads are working their magic!

I expect another 2-weeks before this is semi-finished. I'm not sure if I will have sourced a mirror or sconces by then, but the walls, floor, and fixtures will be installed and working at full speed! And speaking of fixtures, thank you to everyone who voted in the sidebar poll about the faucet for the sink. You're voices were heard, and I purchased the winner:


This gorgeous brushed nickel bridge faucet which is going to look FABULOUS (am I overusing that word today?) on the new sink!

Tons of work still to do, as you can well see. But I hope it wows you all once it's complete! In the next few days I'll have polls on sconces, fabric, art, and accessories - and I hope you'll all give your input!

21 comments:

  1. love all the details. interesting contrast in the sink has those swoops compared to the very square toilet, but I cannot imagine what you mean by the flush handle, am I missing some opportunity to accessorize??

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you do anything BUT wow us, Artie! You're doing an amazing job with all of this, and I can't believe how handy you are on top of all the artistic genius you have! You definitely need to capitalize on your talents my friend! AmynTex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finishes, textures, and shapes. I am wishing you success on getting it completed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys ROCK! Looks wonderful. The toilet...well, I do agree that a wood lid/seat will jazz it up a bit...fit the time period you're going for and if anything can be done to jazz up a toilet, I'm all for it. :-) Can't wait to see the big finish!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the floor Artie! That black detail really works well. And I love that faucet. Waiting to see it all put together. -Delores

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's going to be really pretty when you are done, Artie...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, ARtie, I'm loving your new bathroom. It does look FAB! I know you are thrilled with that black border on the floor, that really makes a statement. and I love that you are doing the board & batten look. I just might have to do that somewhere too. It's so great looking! THanks for stopping by my tile project too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! What are you thinking of for art?
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking that you should share your choices so we can help you decide and there you go. At the end of the post you said you'd be doing exactly that.

    Okay, never thought I'd say this, but your toilet is beautiful. I don't know why you don't like the handle, but okay... I'm sure you've got something fabulous in mind. But I have to admit, I totally CRINGED when you mentioned a wood toilet seat. Blech! Ick! Ptooey!

    Justine :O )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving that board and batten Artie. It looks so perfect! You must have really put a lot of effort into that. I sure hope that you give us all the how to, as I'm sure that it's something that all of us will want to copy once we see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am so impressed that you did that tile work yourself. And I love the battens. Can't wait to see all the pretty finish details.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it and yes art in the bathroom is very chic!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen @ homeinthecountryFebruary 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM

    Wow! It's coming together so nicely - I love all of the added details, especially the black tile on the floor and in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That faucet is sexay ! And you are having art in the bathroom ? Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is turning out so elegant, a classic beauty. Love the pencil tile in the shower, and the toilet, well, I never thought I'd be saying this about the loo, but it's really gorgeous. As to the cover, I would try the oak, but if it made it look a bit dated, go back to the classic white. In my home, we have fluffy pile covers on all the toilet seats... it's a favorite warm perch for kitties!

    Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is going to look fab and classy and just plain gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is looking FABULOUS!!!
    Way to go Artie! I love it so far, you will find the right fixtures! Way to go!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is all coming together so beautifully and your attention to detail is fabulous. I am just blown away that you are doing it all yourself. Such a talented artist, no matter what the canvas is!!
    Please come to Cali, twin, and do my bathroom, too! =)
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just returned from a trip and amazed by your completed work. You've done an incredible job and looking very forward to the finished product.

    As far as a toilet seat, in the spirit of both you and Cote de Texas being from Texas, have you seen those barbwire seats?!

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lJupZ0n_xDM/StjyN2bWnDI/AAAAAAAADVM/EZtLy-PZFM8/s400/Barbed+Wire+Toilet+Seat.JPG

    G in CT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new bath design! The tile on floor and the shower with the pencil tile is so classy! As for the toilet seat... consider a white wood so you can see if it's clean. :-)

    ReplyDelete