Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happiness is ... (READ THIS POST!)

Being off on a Friday.

Yes, I'm literally exhausted, and this day is a long time coming! Many of you know, but some of you may not - I am currently in school, studying interior design. Decorating has been my passion since I decorated my mothers bedroom with no-sew fabric techniques at the tender age of 8. Don't you miss Lynette Jennings? But I'd never thought about the necessity of a degree in design to forward a lover of decor in a career. After many months of thinking on the subject, I decided to enroll to see if I'd learn anything - and I have. Oh, boy have I learned.

Sadly, the decision came at a price. #1, tuition. Learning is not always free. #2, work. I had a great job. Not only did I have quite possibly the best boss you could ever hope for, but the pay was great and the job was fun - on most days. But the demanding position, responsibility, and necessity of availability wasn't going to work with my school schedule. So, I intentionally demoted myself to a far less paying position, with fewer hours, less responsibility, and a boss that well, let's just say - isn't my old boss.

Has it been worth it? There's no simple answer. Most days I'm excited about the changes, and others I'm so weak from the lack of sleep and the frustration of having to scrutinize the necessity of an expense that I would far rather be decorating for myself, entertaining all of you - than dreaming of a book and a television show. But nothing worth having ever came free ... isn't that what they say? So I'll take my free Friday morning and sleep in, and then focus on finishing the bathroom so that I can mark one of the many "Things to Do" off of my list.


Also, please watch for new additions to a CDLV Store that I'll be opening soon. If you've had your eye on an accessory or two in my pictures, now may be the time to call it yours! Enjoy your Friday!

15 comments:

  1. Artie -- I DIDN'T know! You will be glad you did what you did -- it may not seem like it sometimes going through it but . . . .

    I can't wait to see the finished bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie, you're living my dream. And when that TV show comes, you will remember your number one fan, right?? :) Now I have to go browse all your pictures so I can tell you what I want!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artie, I feel for you. I thought getting that piece of paper would make all the differance, not one person has ever asked me about it... I really believe that you either have it or you don't and you HAVE IT! You will do great! Now, go get some rest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Artie,

    I too have had to make a decision similar to yours. The results paid off and it was certainly better than living with the thoughts of what if or should I have...

    I am looking forward to seeing the final results of all your hard work on your bathroom as well as your new store.

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with schooling. I am a graduate of FIT in NYC and all I can say, do not be discouraged with all the technical aspects. It only deepens and perfects the Decorators talents.
    After graduating, i wanted to continue to furniture design, or even architecture. The discipline of Interior Design just leads to even greater things within its field and increases one's talents and understanding of design much greater.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Artie, you sound tired. You have been burning the candle at all ends and the middle, but you will be SO happy when you finish school and .. when your bathroom is done!
    Here's to small and big joys and the road that leads to them.
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I've wanted to do the same, but for me it is very difficult. I have children (nearly 7 & 3). I hope when my youngest begins kindergarten I can go to design school. For now, I will have to be content to work in a design showroom assisting designers in their projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that really you in the field? :)

    Go gett-em Artie! (Sent you a private email.) Hugs -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your post reminded me of all the 'days off' my children enjoyed growing up. Not that I consider you to be childlike. It's just that boyish enthusiasm that gets to me every time I read one of your posts .... thru good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos to you!!! I know how hard it is to go back to school,and work at the same time.Did the same thing a few years back.But,when you finish,the feeling of accomplishment is well worth all the hard work and exhaustion you suffered through.All the best wishes headed your way.
    Can't wait to see the new store!
    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  11. No Artie, I didn't know and I'm so surprised! You are always so confident and knowlegable that I assumed that you had already had your 'degree'. Well, needless to say...you either have 'it' or you don't. I can say that I would have complete confidence in declaring that you have 'it'! :-) Good luck with your studies...I'm eager to see your final b'room pics and watch your progress with the patio.
    Regards, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will be happy you did this ...Just make sure you joid ASID It makes a big difference.. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that you'd gone back to school for design. Good for you, Artie. This is obviously what you were born to do, what you love to do, so take the hit in your pocketbook with pride!

    Justine :o )

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I didn't know but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you! Every bit of sleep you are losing now will be so worth it in the end. I am PROUD of you!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  15. I admire your hard work, Artie...I know it can't be easy. One day you are gonna be soooo glad...and these stressful days will be long gone. :-) Hang in there and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete