Friday, September 28, 2012

A Chaise ... for the Living Room?

chaise lounge

I've been working so hard lately that I've had very little time to worry about my house or anything to do with decor, actually! But then tonight, just as suddenly as can be, I started thinking of the possibility of a chaise lounge in my living room.


Of course, then comes the search for inspiration ... I love this room! That dark brown tufted velvet against the floppy nature of that English rolled arm sofa. Just gorgeous. So eclectic. Chic!


There's this wonderful sort of conversational feeling of a chaise in the living room. The front to back openness. I wonder, how often would a chaise like this in the living room be used as a supine cushion over a fancy ottoman with a side arm or back?


I'm not real sure if this is a bedroom or a living room, but I covet this chaise so much! Well, the room, actually! There's something so serene about it, don't you think? 


I love this too, though. I mean all of the fun print and color ... this is a fun room! And what a mix? That modern 70's era chaise paired with those antique Chinese red thrones! Divine! 


I've been seeing a lot of these Mies van der Rohe Barcelona modern era daybed/chaise lounges in new traditional spaces like this one by Brad Ford ...


this one by Richard Hallberg, which is a bit different than the Brad Ford option but still pairs the very traditional and French with the modern line of the chaise. Makes this small room feel huge, right?


And this one used by Houston great, Pam Pierce. I really have a special place in my heart for these chaise/daybeds and their modern juxtaposition to the traditional furniture in the rest of the space. True pieces are super expensive, but there are some cheaper knock offs out there - still about $1200. I tell you what's more in my budget:


Ikea's SUPER POPULAR Ektorp line has included a chaise with a left or right arm for a long time, but about a year ago, they put this beauty in the series for just $299. Because I already have an Ektorp loveseat, I can't see how this wouldn't be the most appropriate choice for a chaise (if I choose) in my living room.


Sorta reminds me of the chaises that Mary McDonald used in this contemporary living room. So beautiful, right? I definitely think that for my living room I'd want an arm-less option like these, or the Ektorp above. The kicker is the arrangement; what I'd prefer would probably limit mobility severely. 

While I think about that ... what are your thoughts??

10 comments:

  1. Looks cool and comfy in the living room so why not?
    Love the pink one looks glam too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny the timing of this. I am right now working on a living room with a chaise for it -- I adore them. There is something decadent about a place to lounge like that in a "public" room of the house. Love these images. Happy Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought one from a friend, it was her mothers...kind of a pumpkin colored crushed velvet. For my guest bedroom...love that pink one..love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Artie, Hope you and Scott are both doing well. I haven't been spending much time blog hopping but yours is always a pleasure to look at. I always love your choices of rooms that you post. If only you were on the west coast, I would have to hire you to help me redecorate. I'm facing the daunting challenge of picking new upholstery fabrics. Sigh!
    Hugs, B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all chaises!! I have three in my house!! I know overfill--just love them!! Hope you are well looking froward to looking at your bottle pics!! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chaise lounges! I have an antique one in my family room. I used to sit on it all the time but not anymore. I don't want have the frame get damaged since it's over 100 years old. I had it reupholstered and it is used when we have guests and need the additional seating. It's very comfortable to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These inspiration photos are so beautiful. I saw that particular seat at Ikea and i think its totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chocolate Brown one of #1 looks the most comfortable and practical to me... but the Frenchy looking one in #3 is so Divine I might not mind it not being as comfortable just because I'd enjoy beholding it so much! *Winks* I'd be very conflicted on which to choose... not that it would be an option for me given the G-Kid Force would wreck anything this Lovely and monopolize it completely. By the time they're all grown I doubt my Nursing Home Room would be the most suitable place for one?! *LOL*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a simple chaise in my Bedroom that I intentionally had upholstered in just plain muslin which has been collecting dust for years as it was never really used. As I am now in the process of re-decorating my Livingroom, I plan to slipcover it to use it there....finally! ºÜº
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://kdp.amazon.com/community/profile.jspa?editMode=true&userID=1424531
    https://kdp.amazon.com/community/profile.jspa?editMode=true&userID=1427388
    https://kdp.amazon.com/community/profile.jspa?editMode=true&userID=1428236
    https://challenges.openideo.com/profiles/1119874714489381863241486229946090
    http://www.dead.net/member/khairyayman
    https://vimeo.com/user54212503
    https://mootools.net/forge/profile/naklafshdmam
    http://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu/bionumber.aspx?&id=113190



    ReplyDelete