Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lacquered Walls

Design by Miles Redd

How many of you have seen rooms with lacquered walls around blogland, pinterest, or shelter magazines? I've always been intrigued, but have never had a room that could accommodate such a strong statement. Of course, I had hoped that I could lacquer all the walls of the living room/dining room/library of BWC, but it turns out that we're selling BWC and keeping CDLV for the time being.

Design by Steven Gambrel

But really, how do you think a room like this would be accepted by your friends? Would they come in and say: "WOW!!", or would they come in and think your painter made a mistake?


Truth is ... your painter wouldn't make a mistake. In fact, in order to get a look like this, you'd have to hire a specialty painter with experience in applying lacquer. After coat after coat of high gloss oil based paint, the final coat of lacquer must be sprayed ... it's not an easy job, and it's a long process! 


It's worth it though - right? I mean, when you can have a room like this, with walls that make such a statement - I suppose the cost and the time can be justified. IMHO, painted woodwork is a must in rooms that have lacquered walls. Natural woodwork just would not frame it the way it needs to be done. So, no lacquered walls for me - how about you?



4 comments:

  1. Hi Artie, how was your visit with your friend? I love lacquered walls, I want to lacquer the walls in my living room, I tried a glaze but didn't get it right: if I could afford it I would hire a painter to lacquer them:) Joan from Love of a House had a great post on ceilings, maybe you could start there:) You're so funny about your natural woodwork! Happy Sunday XXOO Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artie I adore lacquered walls and I would not care what friends think ; although I think most would love the elegant., striking look and finish!


    Last day to enter my Velvet Pumpkins Giveaway from Love Feast!
    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lacquered walls are not my thing. They call too much attention to themselves rather than the furnishings, and they remind me too much of Bloomingdale's furniture floor in the 80's. I know you would have to find that in a publication, but I am certainly old enough to remember it.
    Best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the application of a 'lacquer finish' warrants careful consideration due to its high gloss intensity. In other words, one should be selective no matter where it is applied.
    For those who are not brave enough to try it and/or if expense is a factor; they might wish to do a web search for Wallpaper manufacturers as some of the better lines do offer a high gloss vinyl like product that duplicates a lacquer finish. -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete